NEWS: Updated in July 2019 and now includes 26 recipes including a recipe for Sugar Lace, Vegan Flower Paste and 85 product reviews!
Author: Louise Wilson
This is a 65 page guide that includes detailed information on the following topics:
- 26 recipes and instructions on how to make them at home including:
- Buttercream x 1
- Frosting x 3
- Bakers Fondant x1
- Candy Modelling clay (using candy melts) x1
- Ganache (Milk, dark and white chocolate) x1
- Vegan Ganache x1
- Ganache with buttercream x1
- Glacé Icing x1
- Royal Icing x1
- Sugarpaste x 1
- Marshmallow Sugarpaste x 1
- Modelling paste x 2
- Cocoa butter modelling paste x 1
- Mexican paste x2
- Flowerpaste x1
- Pastillage x 3
- Marzipan x 2
- Modelling chocolate (milk, dark and white) x 1
- Sugar lace x1
- An explanation on all the different gums you will come across in the cake decorating world, what they are and what they are used for.
- Introduction to some of the more common ingredients that you will use while baking and making your own pastes.
- Compare and review each of the following 85 products that are available to buy (including ingredients):
- Fondant including: PME Fondant Icing Mix, Phil Vickery Gluten-Free Fondant Icing Mixes and Squires Kitchen Fondant Icing Mix.
- Candy Melts including: Wilton Candy Melts, PME Candy Buttons and Merckens Candy Melts.
- Royal Icing including: Tate and Lyle, Silver Spoon, Whitworths, Sattina Royal icing mix, Squires Professional Royal icing mix, Squires Kitchen extension icing, Squires Kitchen specialist sugar run-out icing, Squires Kitchen art-ice cookie icing mix, Renshaw ready to use Royal icing, Scattine Royal icing ready to use and Diamond Paste Luxury Royal icing to go.
- Sugarpaste including: Squires Kitchen bridal white sugarpaste, Sattina, Satin Ice, Flemings/Sudzucker Covapaste (was BFP), Cake Stuff Couture artisan sugarpaste, Karen Davies Vanillla sugarpaste, Massa Taffeta, Sainsburty’s soft white icing, ready to roll, Massa Ticina bride white sugarpaste, Sweet Success sweet silk sugarpaste, Dr Oetker regal-ice ready to roll icing, Sugarpaste Direct, Rensha Decor Ice professional ready to roll icing, Renshaw covering paste, BAKO and Culpit Cake decorating sugarpaste.
- Modelling Paste including: Sattina 3-in-1 modelling paste, Diamond Paste Company modelling paste, Squires Kitchen modelling paste, Squires Kitchen sugar dough, Renshaw Sugar Décor-ice flower and modelling paste, Sainsbury’s white flower and modelling paste, PME gum paste, Saracino, Massa Taffeta, Beau modelling paste, Cake Star modelling paste, Barker Bakes modelling paste and Culpitt Soft Shimmer modelling paste pearl.
- Mexican Paste including: Squires Kitchen Mexican paste instant mix, Diamond Paste Company Mexican paste and Squires Kitchen MMP.
- Flowerpaste including: Diamond Paste Company platinum paste, Satin Ice gum paste, Squires Kitchen sugar florist paste, Wilton ready to use gum paste, Barker bakes flowerpaste, Sattina 3-in-1 modelling paste, Renshaw sugar flower décor-ice modelling paste, Simply Heaven ultra-fine flower modelling paste, Flowerpaste by Beau Products, Pastiche by Sweet Success and our very own flowerpaste recipe!
- Pastillage including: Squires Kitchen pastillage instant mix
- Marzipan including: Sattina marzipan, Tesco natural almond marzipan, Design-a-Cake white marzipan, Odense marzipan, Sweet Success marzipan, Dr. Oetker ready to roll natural marzipan and Renshaw Rencol white almond paste marzipan.
- Modelling Chocolate including: Squires Kitchen cocoform dark, Beau dark chocolate modelling paste, Dinkydoodle Designs dark Belgian modelling chocolate and covering paste, Barker Bakes dark chocolate modelling and covering paste and Sweet Success dark chocolate silk.
- Sugar Lace including: SugarVeil, Squires Kitchen flexi-ice instant mix, Claire Bowman’s cake lace, Claire Bowman’s ready made colours metallic and pearlised, Karen’s edible cake lace, Simply Heaven, Sugar Brick Road ready mix, Sugar Brick Road powder mix, Doric sweet lace, Lakeland magic white icing powder for edible lace, Sweet Lace Express and our own home-made sugar lace recipe.