Tutor: Louise Wilson.
Time: 9.30am - 5.30pm.
Skill Level: Beginner.
Equipment: No equipment is required
Class size: This class has a maximum of 12 students.
What will you learn in this class?
During this class, we will be covering many aspects of running a cake decorating business including:
- Where to start, what you should consider first.
- Writing a business plan.
- Business ownership, self-employed, partnership or Ltd company?
- The law.
- Choosing a business name.
- Startup costs.
- Ongoing costs.
- The many different types of Insurance for this line of business that are available, and what do cake makers really need?
- Book keeping and keeping records.
- Working out your hourly rate.
- Calculating cake costs and what you need to include.
- Different ways to market your new cake business.
- Free marketing opportunities that are available.
- Paid for advertising, online and offline.
- Getting brochures and flyers printed.
- Wedding fairs and other events for promotion.
- Getting a website.
- Advertising your website online.
- Running a Facebook page and other social media tips.
- Environmental health and your property.
- Health and Safety guidelines.
- Environmental inspections, what to expect.
- Food safety for business.
- Food labelling and packaging - what you must do to comply with regulations.
- Labelling cakes for sale (for market stalls).
- Employing staff.
- Trading standards.
- Data protection.
- Copyright of your work and others and how to protect it.
- Dealing with customers.
- Taking an enquiry, developing ideas and giving a quote.
- Useful forms that you should use for disclaimers and your protection.
- Pricing your cakes correctly and for profit.
- Designing cakes for your customers.
- Working with polystyrene dummies.
- Using fresh flowers on cakes.
Why should you come to this class?
This is a class like no other! The development of this class has taken over a year of work. During this time our head teacher Louise Wilson has drawn on over 30 years experience in the cake decorating industry, and written a 200 page book that will accompany this class (you will be given a copy as you arrive). The book contains everything you need to know to get you started running a profitable business making cakes for the public.
This class is aimed at anyone thinking of starting a new cake business, or to the hobby baker who is ready to take the leap and make it official! We cover every aspect of running your business from picking a good name, to taking your first order, dealing with multiple orders, and promoting yourself.
Our cost for an 8 hour class is £199.00.
What will you need to bring to this class?
On full day classes, you may bring a packed lunch with you. If it's an evening class, just come along as you are. The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!
What will you take home from this class?
Lots of knowledge on getting started and running a successful cake business! As well as being fired up from the class, you will also be given a comprehensive 200 page book that accompanies the class. It covers everything that we teach you, but in even more detail!
You will take part in small group sessions and be given challenges along the way to reinforce the huge amount of information we plan to give you during this class!
This class is for home cake bakers, hobby bakers and bakers who are new to the cake decorating world, and those who want to get ahead with the business part, and get down to making some amazing cakes! It will also serve as a refresher course to those who have been doing this a little while, but still have questions.
This is an 8 hour class in total. The class starts at 9.30am and runs until 5.30pm.
There is a maximum of 12 students per class.