Tutor: Louise Wilson.
Time: 10am - 4pm all three days
Skill Level: Beginner.
Equipment: All equipment and flower paste will be provided.
Cake: You will bring a 10" round cake, we will provide a recipe, we will provide 8" and 6" dummies.
Class size: This class has a maximum of 4 students.
Deposit: To pay a non-refundable deposit of £80, check the availability for this date (look for current stock near the top of the page), then go here:
Why should you come to this class?
This class isn't just about the cake! Although you will learn lots about the techniques used to make our wedding cake, you will also learn so much more...
From design to delivery, this class teaches you everything you need to know if you are about to open shop for wedding cakes. We even talk about the type of paperwork you need to keep, and give you copies of forms that you should get signed when delivering a wedding cake.
Whether you wish to pursue a professional career in cake-making or just develop cake decorating as a hobby, this course will give you the opportunity to work closely alongside Lou, benefitting from 30 years of experience, whilst picking up her multiple tricks of the trade. We teach in a relaxed and informal manner and Lou is happy to answer any questions you can throw at her.
What will you learn in this class?
- Learn everything you need to know from Design to Delivery on Wedding Cakes.
- Designing wedding cakes and the questions you need to ask your bride.
- Time management and planning, and how you work out your schedule.
- Hints and tips on baking and storing your cakes.
- Leveling and layering a cake.
- Filling your cake.
- Using different pastes.
- Making your own flower paste.
- Covering your cake to a high standard.
- Decorative techniques - garrett frills, swags, drapes, bows.
- Hints and tips on using fresh flowers on wedding cakes.
- Making your own glue.
- Making Royal icing.
- Making a piping bag.
- Using templates for piping practice.
- Piping skills and techniques.
- Creating sugar flowers.
- Creating sugar foliage.
- Using ribbons to create different effects around your cakes and board.
- Rescuing mistakes and accidents.
- Dowelling tiered cakes.
- Advice on different cake stands, pillars, separators and supports.
- Glitter guidelines
- Lots of helpful advice on working with customers.
- Working with portion sizes.
- Working with different shapes and sizes of cakes.
- Food Hygiene and Environmental health - what you need to know before you begin.
- Helpful advice on the type of insurance cover you will need.
- Pricing your wedding cakes - working it all out.
- Deposits - how much should you take and when?
- Invoicing your customers and getting full payment.
- Disclaimers and your terms and conditions.
- Tastings and viewings - what should you offer?
- Recipe for Lou's cake.
- Helpful tips on boxing cakes and transporting cakes to the venue.
- Helpful advice on what to do at the venue, who needs to sign off on the cake and the types of forms you should provide to safeguard yourself should the caterers damage your work of art!
What will you take home from this class?
A beautiful 3 tier cake, that has been baked, covered and decorated by you, that would be fit for any wedding!
All the cake boards and boxes are supplied free of additional charge
Each student will also be given our 99 page PDF (emailed to you after the class) that we wrote to accompany this class, giving full instructions and lots of useful forms and printouts for your wedding cake business.
What will you need to bring to this class?
You will need to bring 1 cake with you which is a 10", we provide a recipe that you can use which you can also download here. We will provide an 8" and a 6" dummy for the top two tiers.
We ask you to bake the cakes as Lou spends a portion of the first morning talking to each of you about your cake, and how you can improve your baking, and also how to fix any mistakes. If we provided you with perfect cakes then we feel we would have a missed teaching opportunity!
We will supply the buttercream, sugarpaste, flowerpaste and modelling pastes, plus all the equipment and boards and boxes to take your cake home in!
Please also bring an apron and a packed lunch with you. The Cake Makery will provide tea, coffee and cold refreshments as needed!
This class is for beginners and anyone looking to perfect their skills a bit further, giving you the confidence to cover and decorate big cakes at home..
This is a 6 hour class on each of the 3 days and has a maximum of 4 students, this allows us to give you more personalised teaching and attention.
To pay a non refundable deposit of £80 check the availability for this date (look for current stock near the top of the page), then go here: